Tuesday 3 November 2015

BEAT by Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters magazines are more like Newspapers... 
They are in the same format as a genuine newspaper, created at the same height, and width, just with different things printed inside. 

This particular magazine by Urban Outfitters is called BEAT, and has a large image of Béyonce on the cover, wearing a red and white striped leotard with a red jumper on, and behind is an American Flag, and she looks to be in a agricultural setting.

This is Issue 16 in their collection, and it is the Winter edition for 2015, it is also a free pick up in any Urban Outfitters store, no matter where you go. I really like the Urban Outfitters magazines, as I find them to be really creative and arty. I love that they showcase brilliant design, and also the fact that there free magazines are like newspapers I think is really unique and different.

Upon Opening, you can see a beautiful vibrant image of something which doesn't almost look real, it does not look like that of a photo but of a screen print. I like the use of screen prints within their magazines as again, it makes them more unique and individual. 

This particular image is one for the Palma Violets, and no this does not mean the sweets, there is a band named after this retro sweet.

Again, whilst flicking through the use of photography is awe-inspiring. I love that the images are shot on pastel backgrounds to pack-a-punch, they look retro to me. I just think it suits to the magazine really well and does look interesting. 

On page 10 you can see what is mostly in this little paper joy:
Sinead Harnett
Formation,
Micachu and the Shapes
Rina Sawayama
Splashh
Frances
Palma Violets
Moxie
Mabel
Empress of Beyonce
Songhoy Blue
Sky Ferreira
Stormzy
Sexwitch
Hurts

The use of text within the pages is very interesting too, along with the layout. 
On the following page, there seems to be an "Ask Shirley" section, which seems to me like the sort of Agony Aunt section in Women's magazines. I like this addition as it seems personal and the layout is very quirky which I really like. 

Overall, this magazine is really strong. I like that it is on paper but is in the style of a newspaper, I also like that it is print based and 'properly' print. Instead of like that of the Little White Lies book, don't get me wrong that's a beautiful piece of print work too. I just prefer how they create the Urban Outfitters one, a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment