Monday 27 April 2015

Guest Lecture: Helvetica //

Gary Hustwit came into our University to talk about his film titled Helvetica, this was dis directorial debut from 2007. This was a documentary about graphic design and also that of typography, clearly titled 'Helvetica' by a typeface. This was a cleverly choice of title, as now everyday we see some form of Helvetica type. This film was marked as a beginning of a film trilogy of design, with Objectified, here this is all about Industrial and also product design. Here this followed in 2009, afterwards out come Urbanized, and this was about the design of cities and this then came out in 2011.

I found this lecture to be really quite inspiring, as I thought that Gary was just a regular guy talking about his love for typography and of graphic design. I thought it was quite refreshing to the other lectures we've had. I think it was somewhat, calmer than the rest. Maybe it was because of Gary's laid-back style of talking I really liked and found that it gave off a certain style, or whether it was intact for the film itself. Either way, I thought that this lecture was very interesting and to hear someones idea of type is interesting to me, as I myself am for typefaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment