Wednesday 17 June 2015

Review | Nylon | The Music Issue | July 2016

| Marina and the Diamonds | 


I recently saw this magazine on Instagram whilst searching one of my favourite bands, which is Marina and the Diamonds. I love Marina's music as it's so unique to anything I've heard, it's quite poppy yet some of her songs have a melancholy vibe.

 Her first album was The Family Jewels which was released on the 15th February 2010, which featured the hit song of Hollywood, and also I am not a Robot. On this specific album it has been described at Indie pop, and also that of a new wave era. 

The Second Album was Electra Heart and this was released on the 27th April, 2012. I like that the first album to this one was two years apart. I liked that as it kept fans on their toes as to when her next album would surface. 

Now the third album by Marina and the Diamonds is titled as Froot, and this album came out on the 13th March, 2015. The thing that was different about this particular album of her's was that she stylised it to become a "Froot of the month" sort of thing, meaning that 6 six of the songs on the album would be released to fans every month. These songs were that of "Froot", "Happy", "Immortal", "I'm a Ruin", "Forget" and also "Gold".

| Nylon | 

The magazine of Nylon is very unique, I've not really heard much of this magazine which is a shame. I didn't look into many of the other covers for this magazine but I did see a couple which I liked which will be showcased below in image form, with a little description. 

As to the Marina cover, I thought that this was a beautifully artistic cover. The way the colours popped on the front gave so much to Marina's attitude and to her music. The colours are that of blues, pinks and oranges, and these stand out from the other magazine that would be next to them on the shelf in magazine stores across the world. 

As I couldn't find this particular magazine in any shop or even online to be shipped directly to me, I had to read this magazine on the Nylon, website: http://www.nylon.com
Then I looked at the article about Marina: http://www.nylon.com/articles/marina-and-the-diamonds-cover-story

/ Everything on this article is do with her newest album of FROOT and about her processes to come up with the album and amongst other things. This article also talks about the previous albums with the inspiration that came with them, I particularly liked the album of Electra Heart. I liked this album so much because of the music itself but I also liked Marina's alter-ego. I liked that she wore a platinum blonde wig, and was associated with pink/barbie and bubblegum.


No comments:

Post a Comment